Several programs are dedicated to Family Fun at ESMoA, with the art laboratory inviting every generation to participate in free activities led by its experienced art educators. Programming puts creativity and enjoyment on equal levels to engage growing and mature minds alike.
CREATE, 1pm to 4pm on select Saturdays
Make, look, and talk about art at CREATE! This monthly family event features an art activity connected to the in-gallery Experience. Art activities change month-to-month and are sometimes artist-led. Art activities take place at long tables in ESMoA’s Entry or gallery. Seating is available for visitors ages 2 and up.
Families can also explore the current Experience using an ESMoA Explorer Guide! All ages and skill levels are welcome.
PLAY, 10 am to 11 am on selected Saturdays
PLAY provides young visitors ages 3-5 and their adult companions the space to talk about art, art lab etiquette, and important social emotional skills that contribute to positive learning experiences beyond ESMoA. Offered on select Saturdays from 10 AM – 11 AM, PLAY introduces the youngest visitor to art through age-appropriate short stories, gallery play activities, and hands-on art making activities. These workshops last one hour and are led by an ESMoA Educator.
Class size is limited to 10 children. Siblings of all ages are welcome! PLAY activities take place in ESMoA Entry and gallery space mainly on the floor. Cushions and chairs are available for participants upon request.
TINKERTOPIA – 3.30pm to 5pm on selected Fridays
TINKERTOPIA is for kids age 8+ and their favorite adult companion. Each session we’ll start with short drawing exercises and then we’ll explore different challenges. This is a time to have fun! We’ll play, tinker, and tune up our own designs, inventions and stories. Siblings of all ages are welcome! We provide basic drawing and recycled tinkering materials.
Tips for families
Planning a visit to ESMoA with young visitors? Here are some tips for your upcoming visit:
- Not sure where to start? Ask for a free ESMoA Explorer Guide. Explorer Guides are available in English and Spanish and highlight some of our favorite artworks in the current Experience!
- Sit on the floor or provided benches when you’re sketching or reading a book together.
- Looking at an artwork together. Ask one another, “What do you see?” We bet you’ll each have something great to share!
- Have a case of the wiggles? Shake out that extra energy, but be mindful of artworks and other visitors in the gallery. Take a few deep breaths to center yourself.
- Remember not to run in the galleries. ESMoA has concrete floors and we don’t want anyone to injure themselves.
- Ask if you can touch an artwork. Sometimes ESMoA exhibits works of art that can be touched, but that is not always the case. To help protect the artwork for future generations, we kindly request that you do not touch artworks.
- To ensure that you and the artworks are safe, please do not touch or lean against the gallery walls.
- Taking photographs. Taking a picture or selfie together is a great way to celebrate your ESMoA visit. You are welcome to take photographs inside the gallery without flash.
- Feeling creative. You are welcome to draw or sketch in the gallery using pencils.
Have a question we didn’t answer here? An ESMoA staff member or volunteer are available to answer questions the day of your visit. They will be wearing an ESMoA t-shirt.
- Bring a water bottle and snack to enjoy in ESMoA’s entry. ESMoA does not have a water fountain or cafe. There are many restaurants and cafes on Main Street.
- Need additional planning help before your arrival, call 424-277-1020. Admission to ESMoA and programs are FREE.